Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Notch Up The Arrows

More and more I realize I am the literary equivalent of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde.Actually my two writing personalities are not so much good and evil as they are ridiculous and serious.

All of my works fall into either the categories of absurd comedy, or darkly emotional.

But there does seem to be one common theme to most everything I write -- love.

Even THE FEEDSTORE CHRONICLES, for all of its pervasive comedy, is at its conclusion a love story. Plundered Booty the same. I have recently tried to write 3 separate comedy project where love was not a factor in the plot or theme. I have failed to create so much as a single acceptable chapter on any of the three. 

I have 4, maybe 5 unfinished novels buried on my hard drive. Upon further examination none of these failed starts deal with love.

All of my completed novels, from the romance and women's fiction stuff to the comedic stories to the one literary novel I've completed would make cupid proud.

I'm not sure what this says about me. Perhaps I have tried too hard to flee the "big hairy love story writer" moniker. Perhaps I have been in denial about who I am as a writer. But no more. I am going to totally embrace this fact about me and write strictly from the heart. Even if I have to market the more serious, dark material with a pseudonym.
 

5 comments:

tornadoalleycrossfit said...

It's about time you come out of the closet! (in the writer's identity sense, that is)

Old Kitty said...

Love truly does make the world go round! :-) Take care
x

Charles Gramlich said...

Not sure love is a factor in many of my stories. I'd say more adventure is the mainstay.

G. B. Miller said...

Love is a cool emotionj to play with and its an underriding (?) theme in my stories.

However, most of my stories suffer from the malady called "unhappy endings".

No matter how hard I try, I seem to be incapable of writing a happy ending to any of my stories. At leat on the first try.

Second try on one of the got me a book sold.

Unknown said...

Dean koontz had 3 psuedonyms when he first started out. Look where it got him....

And as a matter of fact, all of novels, no matter how weird, all share a common theme of love. (I highly recommend Odd Thomas. You'd love it)