Saturday, June 25, 2011

Get It For Your KIds but Make Sure You Read It As Well

Some months ago I was lucky enough to score an advanced readers copy of this book.



I loved the book and finished it all too quickly because I simply couldn't put it down. At 38 I'm far older than its intended audience but I connected with Joshua right off the bat. Here is a description of the book I stole from Amazon.

Joshua Reed is used to moving around since his dad became an Army recruiter and the Vietnam War broke out. But their newest home, in the mountains of Pennsylvania, feels special somehow. Josh has started to make a new friend, his dad has finally allowed him to get a dog, and Jack-with his strange glowing ears and the way he seems to understand Josh's feelings-is like no other dog Josh has ever seen. But in Vietnam-era America, conflict is never far away-even on the homefront. When a local boy is killed overseas, the town turns on the new army recruiter. And when a few late-night disturbances all point to Jack, it will be up to Josh to fight for his dog, his family, and his new home.

Beyond the fact that the story captivated me I loved the book for it's ability educate and shed light on a time and mindset that few kids today have thought about. Given the first person POV Danette did an outstanding presenting the dilemma from several different angles. I passed the the book to my boys (8 and 10) and they loved it as much as I did.

Danette is a blog friend of long standing and while I've enjoyed her previous books, me & jack is one of those titles that I am eager to stand on the roof top and shout about. 

4 comments:

Wendy said...

My oldest boy is 8, so I will check this out. Thanks for the tip!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It sounds excellent. A well-written book is enjoyable at any age. I loved books about kids and their dogs/horses/whatever when I was a kid myself. Some of them made a big impact on me.

Charles Gramlich said...

I will definitely get this one. Maybe I could read it to a neighbor kid.

Cloudia said...

sounds great!




Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><