Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Satan Is A Midget

Yeah, I know that the title of this post is not PC, but given that not even the ACLU would file suit on behalf of Lucifer I went ahead and used the offensive term anyway.

That brings us to the means in which I acquired knowledge of Beelzebub's diminutive nature.

The story goes something like this and does not involve a fiddle of gold.

My grandpa dies just a few days after my oldest son was born. Due to the fact that both my son and my grandpa were in the hospital dealing with heart issues they never had the chance to meet in person. (For more on that story click here to read the tale of my journey into fatherhood)


However, my mom has family vacation videos of bygone years in which my boys have been able to see and hear my grandpa, their great grandfather.

So out of the blue my 8yo asks the other day, "Mom, will I be able to talk to Grandpa Howery when I get to heaven?"

Jennifer answers that yes, he will get that chance.

T then points to the ground and asks, " But what if I go to the other place."

"Be good and you won't have to worry about that," She answered.

"What does the other place look lie anyway," he asks next.

At this point my 6 yo son, who had been listening quietly chimes in and says, "It's hot, dark, and there is lots of lava." Then holding his hand out about chest high on his own small body he said, "And there is a little dude with horns."

************************************

Flag football is going strong, but sadly I cannot report a victory yet. Vince Lombardi I am not. Between two years of coaching (1 team last year 2 this season) my record as head coach is 1 win, thirteen losses. The lone victory came last year when one of the teams failed to show up.

But I am proud to say all, but one kid that played last year came back so I count the experience as a success. If the kids learn and want to keep playing I feel as if I am doing something right.

***********************************

Writing is going slow, but at least it is going again. I couldn't say that for most of the summer.

***********************************

After seventeen years at the post office working first nights and evening and then daytime hours, all with crappy days off, it looks as if I'll finally get a daytime job with weekends off starting at the end of October. That will be great for family activities and mean no more 12 hour days and four hour lunch breaks to coach football.

*********************************

My goal for next year is to make at least two writer's conferences. I really need to buckle down and do more to jump start my writing career. Once upon a time a had lots of personal
contacts among agents and editors but in recent times that number has dwindled. Far too many deaths, retirements and layoffs in the business for me to not be more proactive.

********************************

I am starting a new project involving the kids at the Catholic school where my wife teaches and boys attend. I will be teaching basic writing to the kids as well as moderating discussion on novels already published in the young adult genre. I have already started a new blog to record these lessons and discussions so be sure and sign up to follow the things that go on there. I hope it will be a great place for both kids and adults and maybe you can engage your own children and take part via the internet. Sign on the follow that blog now so you'll be aware when I update the content. http://younglit.blogspot.com/

*******************************

So that's what is going on in my world. What's shaking in yours?



ps I hope to catch up soon and start visiting your blogs with more regularity.

28 comments:

Deborah Elliott-Upton said...

Love the image of satan now in my brain. :-)

jjdebenedictis said...

My goal for next year is to make at least two writer's conferences.

There's a great one in Surrey, Canada! Mind you, we have no Shiner Bock here.

writtenwyrdd said...

I like the idea of being able to balance a beer mug on Satan's head. :) *pauses to consider it again* Yup. Priceless.

FWIW, I'm holding a contest on my blog. If you want to try you hand at horror, check it out at http://writtenwyrdd.typepad.com/writtenwyrdd/2009/09/announcing-a-contest.html

Mr. Shife said...

Glad to hear about the job change for the better, and hope you have better luck with the flag football team this year. Maybe the Saints will inspire them. Could they be this year's Cardinals? They are looking good. And RYC, yes it is probably child abuse putting him in that especially after they laid a giant turd on national TV against the Colts. It looks like they are the same old Cardinals again.

LucieP said...

great update!

Miriam Forster said...

Well, of course Satan is a midget. How else could he shrink small enough to sit on someone's shoulder?

Which means the angel on the other side is also a midget, I guess. *ducks in case of lightning*

Melissa Amateis said...

Working days with the weekends off is the way to go! Well, if you have to work at all, that is...

Have fun teaching the kiddos how to write.

Travis' Wife said...

Poor satan banished to hell and having to wear that damn red jumpsuit what a way to live. I would have to wear something different or at least some fun jewelry.

The flag football is fun the kids are having fun and it gives humor to the day.

I have been telling Travis he needs to get on the ball and write more. The pool in my back yard is not going to build its self and there is a cute pool boy that pours lovely vodka drinks waiting for a job so good old Travi boy needs to get on the stick... ASAP!!!

Cloudia said...

"Little dude with horns" LOL!

Sound like you are HAPPENING, Brah.
glad you are doing well...



Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

G. B. Miller said...

Great update.

I can piture The Church Lady now, thank you very much.

Things are chugging along. Stil the same old same old....

Jan Mader said...

I have a whole new picture of satan now...Little Dude With Horns....that's good!

Being Beth said...

Out of the mouth's of babes...

Congrats on the new position, and I'm glad to hear the writing is going. Also, your new blog and teaching at the school sounds fabulous.

Great post!

Spy Scribbler said...

He is his father's son. :-)

What's shaking in my world? Not enough, that's for sure.

JM said...

"and there is a little dude with horns" made me laugh out loud.

Teresa said...

Great post!!

Barbara Martin said...

Out of the mouth of babes! Isn't that just the way the world works, Travis?

WordVixen said...

I'm thinking you could bring your kids in as assistants in how to create unique villains. :-D Congrats on the new job!

WordVixen said...

BTW- Did you see that Chili's now has two Shiner Bock sauces for their ribs?

Barrie said...

Hey, maybe we'll meet up at a writers' conference! What's going on in my world? Writing, writing, writing. Book due at the beginning of Jan. Love what you're doing at your wife's school, BTW!

Clare2e said...

You've got a LOT going on, but I hope the schedule change frees you up to refocus on the things you'd like to do more. Course (re)adjustment seems to be what life's all about : )

Merry Monteleone said...

Hi Travis!!!

I'm going right now to check out your blog and bookmark it!!! yay, YA! I also have some recommends if you'd like (being that I've been reading a TON of middle grade and YA)

Tell me which conferences you're going to when you know. If any hit in traveling distance and I can actually afford it (doubtful, but one can dream) maybe we can cajole some of the bloggy sphere in on it.

Lyn said...

Very nice update, Travis. Sounds like your boys are going to be good as gold, at least for a while.

Personally, was never a fan of Lombardi. Liked Parseghian:
“Well, the very fact that no one's ever done it is testimony to how difficult it is. It's almost impossible to stay in that superiority position because of the very nature of the game.”

the walking man said...

Work it Travis...you are the designated pool boy until the pool is built.


Nothing much new going on that is worth a mention.

your other wife said...

Z can say the funniest things!!!! I didnot know about the school thing. That sounds like a great thing.

Phats said...

Thanks for the update, loved the story about Heaven and Hell haha.

at their age it's not about winning but having fun, and learning the game apparently you are doing great in that or they wouldn't come back!

Cool new gig good luck with that my friend.

My world I am so excited I can't stand it get to go back on the field and cheer saturday for homecoming! Kristen and I have been practicing our stunting and tumbling haha I might be old but I still got it

Hilary said...

Your little guy is hilarious. I think he got that gene from his Dad. Very cool about the youth lit idea. Best of luck to you with that. :)

Lana Gramlich said...

So long as the kids are having fun w/the flag football, don't beat yourself up too much. ;)

dee said...

So when is the big dude with hair going to finish that humor book???...it only takes one publisher contact if its the right one!!! I'm gonna nag your ass til its done.......and now that I know you have weekends off there will be no mercy! And I love that your wife already has a pool boy in mind to bring her fruity drinks...