Monday, August 3, 2009

Making Maggots - REPEATED

While I am away fishing I thought I'd bring back a few of my previous posts that you may have missed. The date below is their original publication date. Here is a a tale about a trip that was delayed.


Thursday, August 16, 2007

Making Maggots

Okay, I know that title is just plain nasty, but so is my mood these days. You'll figure out why I named this post that when you get to the end.

Summer is officially over. At least for my wife. She is a teacher and today marked her return to work for in-service days. The boys do not have to go back until Monday the 27th.

The back is slowly getting better, but this week of vacation still has turned out to be a huge disappointment. No fun trips to the New Mexico. No standing in a cold clear running mountain stream waiting for trout to take my offering, no hiking through the pine scented forest, no watching a herd of elk move gracefully up a mountain, and no stops at the Albuquerque Zoo.

It bothers me that I promised the boys we would go to zoo and I was not able to deliver. Guess I'll have to make a quick weekend trip to make it up to them.

Also I accomplished very little in the way of writing. If only I could find a way to invert my laptop and have it hover directly over me while I follow doctors orders and lay flat on my back. The one bright spot is the amount of reading I've done. Heartwood by James Lee Burke, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, and You Never Believe Me by Davis Grubb.

This morning I got up because could hear my six year old in the kitchen. My wife had already gone. He was intently staring at something in the window sill so I asked him what he was doing.

"Watching these flies wrestle," he replied.
I stepped closer and looked.
"See," he said that one is on top of the other one.
I nodded and reached for the fly swatter.
My son said, "Don't kill them. I want to see who wins."

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hmmm, I'm starting to see a theme emerge in your "repeat" posts. Calling Dr. Freud!

Joshua said...

flying wrestling....can you say Pay Per View!

Junosmom said...

Ah, that's similar to our chickens which give each other piggy back rides.

Anonymous said...

We have had alot of explaining to do at our house. Everything "wrestles" there. Birds, lizards, flies, mosquitoes, squirrels, lovebugs, frogs, and most recently, walking stick bugs. We've deemed our property the fornication zone, because anything flying over it will immediately lock up and get it on. We have a bird house we call the love shack because every bird in the neighborhood puts a "family" in it then gets on the roof and gets romantic while the "kids" chirp in the house.

Crystal Posey said...

I simply cannot read anything that starts with the word maggots! Yuck! LOL