Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Bit of Inspiration

I've talked a bit about his before, but the one thing that seems to free my mind and open it up to a good bit of creativity is a well written song. When I'm stuck or befuddled in my writing I turn on some tunes or get in the car and drive with the music turned up load. Any other writers share this remedy?

Let me quote from a couple of my favorites. I'm doing these from memory so don't beat me up if I got a word or two wrong. More than likely very few of you have even heard these songs.

From Robert Earl Keen's - The Road Goes on Forever -

Sherry was a waitress, at the only joint in town.
She had a reputation as a girl who'd been around.

Then a bit later ...

Sonny was a loner, older than the rest.
He was going in the Navy, but he couldn't pass the test.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that paint an image of these characters in very few words. It does for me.

Here is a bit from Charlie Robison's My Hometown -

Went to college like they asked me too,
but they didn't ask my friends.
Don't think I saw a single classroom, but I drank a lot of beer.
Buddies still love to listen to me when I talk about that year.

Four lines and I know this guy, of course that may be because I actually do know guys that fit this description.

I don't know that there is a point to this post, but as thought I'd pass along my thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of my best thoughts come from lyrics. But then again I started out my career as a writer as a musician.

Lyricists make wonderful writers...Hmm...I used to write song lyrics. Just have to become a "real" writer now.

Good post buddy.

Yours,

Me

Katrina said...

Depends on what I'm stuck on. If it's characters that need more life in them then I listen to music with lyrics. If it's a love scene--I listen to soft blues or jazz. If I need to energize myself & my character I listen to something with a good beat. Rather than drive around though--I use ear plugs where I really get the beat going in those brain cells. Works every time!