Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Conned by my wife, yet again

My wife and I share a lot in common, two smart, intelligent little boys, our taste in music for the most part, Shiner Bock beer. What we don't share is shopping just for the sake of looking around, a love for Johnny Depp and Harry Connick Jr, or similar tastes in books.

I've been bugging her for a while to read something by Jodi Picoult and she has been, (my wife not Jodi Picoult), pestering me to read this one particular young adult fantasy book. So I finally agreed and read Magyk by Angie Sage. I expected the book to be just another Harry potter ripoff but the two series seem to share nothing in common except for the use of magic and by only a few chapters in I was more than pleasantly surprised. Since the main character is ten I'm guessing the target audience is somewhere around that same age so don't read this expecting any of the dark scary tension that has been in the last couple of Potter books but for younger kids and those like me who may never grow completely up it is a worthy read.

And yes this is a series and my wife knows me all too well. Now I'll have to read the other books just to see how the story turns out. She read one book, I somehow get involved with an entire series. She wins yet again.

No comments: