Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The blades of boredom

Three days into this blog and already I have come to a sad realization. IT is boring as hell.

I have ran into this same thing in my normal writing endeavors. Sometimes things just don't work as well on paper as they did in my head. If they did, writing a novel would be so much easier. Some of my greatest frustration as a writer has been when I know that the words I've just spent hours or days putting down do not convey the message I intended. The problem is even worse when I actually like the prose.

More than once I have written myself into a corner. I've had to scrap entire chapters when I realized they derailed the story or took it off in a different direction than I intended. Sometimes different is good, but an alternate path can be trouble as well, especially if you don't know where it is going to lead you and the story. So when you come to that writing fork in the road .. find a spoon, because using the term fork in the road is too cliche to be good writing . Forget the fork and the spoon, what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to wander off your original plan, but if you suddenly get stuck and don't know what to write next, don't be afraid to pick up a knife and slice away until you get back tot he point where your story went awry.

Now I gotta figure out where this blog went awry and how to make it entertaining. Anybody got a sharp knife?

No comments: